Mercedes-Benz Dashboard Symbols and Meanings Explained
Illuminated Mercedes-Benz dashboard symbols aren’t always a cause for concern for Waipahu drivers. Some Mercedes-Benz features, like ATTENTION ASSIST® or Electronic Stability Control, have symbols that illuminate. Meanwhile, other symbols illuminate because your vehicle requires attention. You’ll find some of these are easy fixes you can handle yourself, while other lights may require a trip to our Honolulu service center. If you find your check engine light is illuminated, for example, you’ll want to schedule a service appointment near Ewa Beach as soon as possible. Find out more about the Mercedes-Benz dashboard symbols and meanings below!
Mercedes-Benz Dashboard Warning Lights Explained
Our quick guide covers some of the most common dashboard symbols and warning signs Mililani and Aiea drivers might come across:
ATTENTION ASSIST® Light
- Icon: Steaming cup on a saucer
- Meaning: When combined with a warning tone, the ATTENTION ASSIST® system is alerting you that you’re exhibiting drowsy driving behavior. At this point, it’s recommended you stop driving on the Kapolei roads.
ESC or ESP Light
- Icon: Tilting car with wavy lines behind it
- Meaning: Electronic Stability Control (previously known as ESP®, Electronic Stability Program) is deactivated. However, if this symbol appears in a yellow triangle, it means that the wheel spin has caused the traction control to intervene.
Glow Plug Light
- Icon: Yellow coil
- Meaning: When this light is on, the glow plugs are in the process of heating the cylinders in your diesel engine.
- Icon: Circle with “ABS” in the center and one curved line on either side
- Meaning: The Anti-Lock Brake System has been deactivated. You’ll still be able to slow down and stop but won’t have access to traction control or emergency braking. Related systems like ESP®, BAS®, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, and Hill-Start Assist will have been deactivated as well.
Brake Wear Light
- Icon: Circle with a dotted line on either side
- Meaning: It’s time to change out your brake pads and/or brake rotors.
- Icon: Battery with a plus and minus sign
- Meaning: There’s an issue causing the battery to not properly charge. The issue could be a problem with the electrical system or a malfunctioning poly-v belt or poly-v belt.
Check Engine Light
- Icon: Engine
- Meaning: Multiple issues can cause this light to illuminate, such as problems with the engine problems, fuel or fuel injection systems, ignition, or exhaust. This light can also be triggered by high emissions.
- Icon: Red coolant light
- Meaning: The coolant level may have dipped too low, or you may have a faulty temperature gauge.
- Icon: Light bulb
- Meaning: A vehicle lightbulb has failed.
Steering Wheel Light
- Icon: Steering wheel with an exclamation point next to it
- Meaning: Power steering isn’t working. It will require more force to turn the wheel.
Have Your Lights Diagnosed at Mercedes-Benz of Honolulu
Now that you’ve had the Mercedes-Benz dashboard warning lights explained, do you still have additional questions? The team at the Mercedes-Benz of Honolulu service center is here to answer your questions and keep your Mercedes-Benz running smoothly. We’ll explain the Mercedes-Benz dashboard symbols and meanings needing decoding and can diagnose your vehicle to make sure you’re safely navigating the streets of Honolulu.